Sunday, December 12, 2010

Istanbul - 2

Although it comes very late, memories and hence the content still remain fresh in my mind. In my earlier post, I spoke about being in love with “bosphorus”, my second love in Istanbul – Istanbul-ites.

It’s a nice feeling when the cab driver realizes you are a tourist and not only does he point out and attempt to describe his city’s landmarks (most of which I hardly understood coz I don’t speak Turkish :P) but also pauses to ask you about your country. “Industan” I say, to which every single one replies with “ooo slumdog millionaire!!”  Or “ya ya, awaraama ooo (with a dance step thrown in as well)”.

If you have something to hide, better stay a loner in Istanbul, coz you are bound to blurt something out caught in the barrage of questions.  :) It only takes an introduction for the istanbullites before they treat you as a new found cousin from a far off land and wish to know everything there is about you… it seems totally OK to ask a person you’ve known for 5 minutes “Do u have a boyfriend??” or “when do u plan to wed? :O

Strangers on the street are willing to play dumb charades to help you find your way, friends you make take you out to little known local hang-outs, teach you to play ‘tavla’, a local backgammon game or take you cycling in the islands over the weekend or teach you how to speak Turkish :)

I walked into the city as a complete stranger and flew out having met some wonderful people and made a few great friends.

No comments: